Star Trek 004: Charlie X


4. Charlie X

WHY WE LIKE IT: A groovy musical number!

WHY WE DON'T: Charlie's MEANT to be annoying, but knowing that doesn't make him any easier to like.

REVIEW: I find a lot of small things to like, but take issue, once again, with the plot. I like, for example, that we see how the crew relaxes - 3D chess, cards, and Uhura's beautiful improvised singing are all nice elements. We also see hand-to-hand combat training. This all helps create a realistic life aboard the ship.

Janice Rand is again a strong character, with attitude and charm. Charlie falls for her much too easily, and both she and Kirk are just terrible at explaining the facts of life to him (60s tv rears its ugly head as those scenes veer into sitcom territory - would Kirk be really so squeemish?). But Janice is still a useful part of the crew.


I'm not enamored of his acting or anything, but the casting for Charlie is interesting. He's got a strangely shaped head that helps sell the mental powers. Big cranium and all that.

But the plot... First of all, it covers a theme too similar to the pilot (which would air next). More variety please. And there's the matter of how the Thasians gave Charlie powers, but can't take them away. Seems pretty convenient. Again, the crew is playing catch-up with the audience, with no mystery whatsoever for us, and the regulars not spotting the obvious for the longest time. (Spock isn't even investigating the silent moment in the rec room?) There are some creepy moments of note, like the faceless woman.


Charlie's annoying nature is just that, annoying, and though I think we're supposed to feel sorry for him at the end, I'm just glad he's gone

LESSON: Before you improvise a humiliating song about a sensitive teen, make sure he can't turn you into a scottish setter or something ;-).

REWATCHABILITY - Medium: For all its faults, there are still some solid moments here, and I've always loved Uhura's singing interludes.

Comments

Mélanie said…
I like the tight pants...

But yah, I'm not geeky enough for this website! ;)
Siskoid said…
Agreed... Kirk's phaser is way exposed there.
GRoY said…
I've finally started watching this show recently! And i love it!

I used to hate everything star trek related before (might be because of the oversaturation of TV by the newer star trek series in the 90s), but i love those old ones! I think i'm beginning to be geek enough for this blog!

I'm not to far into the series yet. But its strange since you didn't seem to like that episode that much, it was the one that got me hooked. I think i will remember Charlie's evil eye forever.