This Week in Geek (10-17/12/06)

So what have I been up to in the last week besides blogging like a crazed lunatic? Here's the week's roundup.

Buys

Clerks II, Kevin Smith's latest movie and the follow-up to the cult movie Clerks.

Showcase Presents: The Unknown Soldier, collecting the first stories of the WWII disguise artist from Star-Spangled War Stories.



"Accomplishments"

Finally listened to James Kochalka Superstar's Our Most Beloved, a funky little punk album with a cute story by James Kochalka - who happens to be one of my favorite cartoonists - and some totally hilarious (and cheap!) videos on a bonus DVD.

Flipped the tape* on Clerks II, which means I watched it 4 times in one day (3 commentaries, you see) plus all the DVD extras.

Watched half of the Batman Animated Series' second season. Going through that DVD right now.

Website finds

My only real find this week is Ulysses for Dummies, a chapter by chapter semi-animated, bare bones Cliff notes for James Joyce's difficult of novels. It's highlarious** Thanks to Carolynn for this one.
A sample image from Ulysses for Dummies

And since I don't like to leave you on a single website, I'll grab a couple things from my archives:

For French speakers, Goldorak dossier #171352 has one of the weirdest geek discussions on the Internet. It attempts to explain just why the chair rotates when Actarus turns Goldorak from a saucer into a full giant robot. Guy's clearly insane, and I like that.

And for English speakers, I recommend Temporal Anomalies in Popular Time Travel Movies, which very coherently makes sense of how history can be changed in various movies like Terminator, 12 Monkeys, Donny Darko and Back to the Future. It's brilliant. I hope he does Déjà Vu one day.

*"Flipping the tape" is an expression borrowed from video games. This refers to finishing a game, like you went through the whole "tape" or "cassette" and the game has reset. I remember the first game I flipped: Activision's Demon Attack for the Atari 2600, which I got to 1 million points before it reset. Now I'll never be a surgeon or pianist. By extension, going through all of a DVD's extras is also called "flipping the tape". This is rarely an achievement unless we're talking about the Lord of the Rings extended cuts.

**"Highlarious", that is, highly hilarious. Thanks for playing our game.

Comments