This Week in Geek (18-24/12/06)

So what have I been up to in the week leading up to Christmas? Here's the week's roundup.

Buys

Well, it seems that for every gift I got someone else, I had to get a couple for myself. It's not my faut! There were sales!

For example, how could I resist a 3-for-2 sale on Showcase Presents? How could I resist buying 9 of them? How? I ask you, how?!? And so it is that you'll probably be hearing about the following collections: Teen Titans, Justice League of America, Batman, Superman 1 & 2, Phantom Stranger, Green Arrow, Superman Family, and Metamorpho?

And that Golden Age Green Lantern action figure? Less than 10 bucks! Had to have it after I made a big fuss earlier about his creator passing away.

And then there's the Xbox I had to buy to replace the one my roomie Emili had to take back to her dad when she moved a couple days ago. I just couldn't lose a 98.40% saved game on Grand Theft Auto San Andreas! Her dad'll be fine with the one I got on sale (cheap, now that 360 has come out) as he's never even used the old one!

As for the stuff that came in the mail, well, I technically bought those the week before, so it's not like I spent that much money THIS week... And that's the Doctor Who 2007 Annual, Quantum Leap Season 5, and Super Friends Volume 2 (booya! Zan and Jayna!)

"Accomplishments"

Finally finished About Time 1, the guide to Doctor Who's first 3 seasons.

Also finally finished Batman The Animated Series vol. 2. The Paul Dini scripts are clearly the standouts, especially "Harley and Ivy" and "Almost Got 'im".

On my Unauthorized Doctor Who CCG project, currently doing 1 card per story ever aired, I promised all the stories through the Troughton era before Christmas. Happy to say I made good on that promise (happy and yet sad that that's what I was doing on Christmas eve).


RPG accomplishments: Made my good friend Pat a character for our Crusaders campaign, which has a pretty neat tie-in to the Sandman series. And yesterday morning, played the tail end of a subplot for Etienne's Absolut character, detailing his secret origin (Absolut's that is, Etienne's is still a mystery).

Oh yeah, and I converted all our DCHeroes 2nd ed. characters to Blood of Heroes 2nd ed., which pretty much means I've skipped our game ahead 3 editions.

Website finds

While talking about the monkey comics cover phenomenon with Carolynn (I know, I know), I came across Comic Book Gorillarama. That's a pretty cool obsession with apes, I must say. (I may say "cool" because I'm afraid of this guy.)

Speaking of obessions, you might want to check out The Aquaman Shrine, a blog by a guy with a huge collection of Aquaman memorabilia. Not too many comics though, which is only strange when you consider the quality of many Aquaman comics.

And might I also interest you in Whomix, a site chockfull of remixed Doctor Who themes, all free. Personal favorite happens to be "Skaro or Bust v.2", but it's not like I've yet been able to go through the whole list.

And that's it for this week, except for a couple buys I'm keeping secret so as not to ruin any Christmas surprises. Thank you, come again.

Comments