5 Things to Like About Captain Britain and MI13 #1

I talk a lot about older comics, but this week, I want to give more recent fare its due. So every day, it'll be 5 things I liked about a recent release. Hope you liked 'em too. To start us off, a nice little book that surprised me this week, but then, I should have had faith in Captain Britain and MI13 #1 thanks to thing #5...

5. Paul Cornell
Look at that, ma! It's a Secret Invasion tie-in and I'm loving it! Why? Because Paul Cornell, that's why. I've loved this man's Doctor Who-related work for years (and he's very nice too), and he has an obvious love for British superheroes. In my youth, I often thought how I could write better stories for Alpha Flight than most of the writers who worked on the title. You know, just because I live in Canada. I know what the Canadian experience is about. Well, Cornell understands the British experience, and this book'll be very different, I think, than the usual Marvel fare. Odd and quirky and magical. Heck, the Skrull invasion as presented here works without all that tie-in business and would be at home on Who!

4. Skrull John Lennon
You know, this idea probably shouldn't work, but it really does. Probably because the Skrully doesn't try to have anyone believe he's the real deal. Fun and bizarre, just like I like my comics.

3. It stars possibly the only Marvel UK fan
I really hope Faiza doesn't bite it because this fan of British heroes' enthusiasm is actually infectious. Marvel UK was a product of Marvel's 90s explosion and imploded just as fast, but it existed, and if MI13 is going to potentially use every UK character (à la All-Star Squadron), we need someone who's memorized their trading card stats. I mean... Digitek?

2. Captain Britain is given his rightful place
Now THAT's a proper hero moment.

1. Cornell's reinvention of the Black KnightHaving the Black Knight adopt the UK is a great idea, and though I was a fan of the character back in his Avengers days, he's a lot more fun here. Nice new look, but also a new attitude. To keep the ebony blade from influencing his mind, he takes a detached view of everything. He's the hero who can't affort to care. Is it me, or is that brilliant?

Comments