This Week in Geek (14-20/12/09)

Buys

Just as I'm finishing one series of Spooks, another comes in the mail (series 4). Life's just well designed sometimes. I also added Andy Lau's Battle of the Warriors to my Asian cinema collection. After having destroyed my Alternate Earth Exploratory Team shirt (a Mark Engblom of Comic Coverage fame) just by over-wearing it, I decided to order another. And while I was at it, I threw in one of his super-powers shirts as well.

"Accomplishments"

This week was extremely busy at work, as I was helping edit the first draft of a book that had to be ready for Friday. At the same time, I was pre-blogging a heck of a lot so that this next week has all the right stuff despite my being away with family for Christmas. Not to mention the cake-off I participated in yesterday (details tomorrow!). So it's a little thin on the "accomplishments". I couldn't even "flip" our Kung Fu Friday selection (The Protector). It'll havew to wait until I come back a couple days after Christmas.

DVDs: I did manage to flip Spooks/MI-5 series 3, which I think is getting better and better. The fact that the cast tends to revolve breaks your heart (an accomplishment in and of itself when you consider there are only 10 episodes - or less! - a season) ramps up the tension. There are some GREAT episodes here, including the finale, the one about torture, and the one in which Danny is asked to kill. They've gotten rid of the overly complicated DVD menus, but there's just as many extras. More, if you consider that all 10 episodes have commentary tracks now.




Big Finish Doctor Who audios: Adrian Rigelsford's The Roof of the World is a 5th Doctor, Peri and Erimem story that takes place in 1917 Tibet. The second chapter focuses on Erimem in an interesting way and explains why an Egyptian princess would not be missed in history. I am surprised however that there is no Great Intelligence or Yeti here. Not that I dislike Lovecraftian gods, but the setting seemed to ask for it!

Neglected Post of the Week
Sometimes, Comics References Just Call Attention to Themselves.

Comments

Mark Engblom said…
Thanks for the shirt plug, buddy! Merry Christmas!