Cat of the Geek #91: Le Chat Botté

Name: Le Maistre Chat/Le Chat Botté (AKA Puss in Boots)
Stomping Grounds: Perrault's fairy tales (has a cameo in Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty)
Side: Good
Breed: European shorthair
Cat Powers: Rabbit hunter. Ogre killer. Royal manipulator.
Skills: Eat 7, Sleep 6, Mischief 9, Wit 10, Intimidating peasants 9
Cat Weaknesses: So why wasn't the original owner (the miller) filthy rich already?
Other versions: Puss has been a media darling since he came on the scene in 1697, and there have been many versions of the classic tale. The one closest to my experience is a version from the French-speaking part of Newfoundland (it's not big, but it's there). When I worked at the Acadian Museum back in the day, we used to show a short film (well, slides with voice-over) of it. From what I remember, it was pretty much the same thing, except the King of Newfoundland wore bluejeans. I kid you not.

Comments

FtonDavid said…
I must admit that I am quite taken with the modern "Shrek" rendition, but as a fan of "Princess Bride" I think the fault lies more there then neccessarily with the saucer eyed puss of the cartoon.