Capaldi Leaves Doctor Who and Suddenly...

After Peter Capaldi announced he would leave the role of the Doctor after the next series, he triggered the usual cycle of fans screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" (especially those who initially screamed NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! that Matt Smith was leaving and irreplaceable), followed by lots of bogus articles online about who would/could/should play the Doctor's next incarnation. The speculation is rampant and usually unfounded, with everything from "this person is British and probably not contractually obligated to something else" to "this person once said they'd LIKE to play the Doctor". And then there are the fans who want to impose their will on the producers by circulating petitions. Here's one that's especially silly:
My friend Bauble started it as a way to parody the Doctor Who fan community AND troll me, a double-whammy that has nevertheless garnered 24 signatures in the past week. Bauble isn't the only one keen on trolling me, you see. My sister signed it?! Et tu, Julie? Please, no more. If you sign it at this point, I will brand you a very silly person.

If it had somehow reached 1000 or whatever it takes for a petition to apply actual pressure (which I don't think it ever would), I would refuse the call. There are several reasons for this:
1. I am not an actor. I don't really have the talent for much more than mugging the camera even if I were telegenic, which I am not. Now if the job were writing for Doctor Who, I might have an idea or two.
2. I an not British, or even a native English speaker. I doubt we can get away with "other planets have a French Canada".
3. I really really do believe the next Doctor has to be a woman. I really do.

So thanks, but no thanks. And since this was never serious, F you too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I want Karl Pilkington to be the next Doctor. The Doctor is famous for lateral thinking, you say? How about thinking that is alien to every advanced species in the universe.
Mike W. said…
Well, you could at least do a Xmas special :)

Seriously though, I agree it's time for a female Doctor, though I think Helen Mirren (whose name seems to be tossed around a lot in that context) might be a bit too old and not especially suited to the role. If they wanted to go a bit younger, Kate Beckinsale would be a good choice; she's in her early forties, used to action roles, and easy on the eyes ... maybe a bit TOO glamorous to be the Doctor, but I suppose you could say that about Tennant as well, and look how he worked out.
Brian said…
Wait...you have a real name!?
Anonymous said…
Paul McGann for "Doctor Who: The In Between Years".
Jeff R. said…
Catherine Tate. Makes more sense the more I think about it, and she's not booked as far as I can tell.