Gimme That Star Trek Ep.12: The Bashir-O'Brien Bromance

At the heart of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is one of the great Trek pairings: the Bashir-O'Brien friendship. Siskoid and DS9 super-fan Kurt "Speedball" Onstad track how, across seven years, it organically grew into the cherished relationship it eventually became. Plus, Star Trek news and listener feedback!

Listen to Episode 12 by clicking HERE!

Or you can right-click “download”, choose “Save Target/Link As”, and select a location on your computer to save the file (38 MB).

Or subscribe to Gimme That Star Trek on iTunes!

Credits:

"Star Trek Theme" by Alexander Courage, with the Irredeemable Shagg on vocals. End theme: "Deep Space Nine Theme" by Dennis McCarthy.

Bonus clips from: Star Trek Deep Space Nine's "The Storyteller", "Explorers", "Hard Time" and "Extreme Measures", starring Siddig el Fadil and Colm Meany; and "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" by Leonard Nimoy.

Thanks for leaving a comment!

Comments

LiamKav said…
I'm currently rewatching season 1, and I'm amazed at how unlikable Bashir is. I don't think I noticed it at the time, but he is full of unabashed arrogance and entitlement. Even when he's smiling, it's with an air of "obviously I'm better than everyone else here but I don't mind talking to you". I was a bit like that myself as a teenager which might be why I was oblivious. I'm curious as to how it comes off as I re-watch with much more jaded but less arrogant eyes.
Anonymous said…
They really didn't know what to do with Bashir at first, and it shows. By the end of the series, though, he inavertently becomes something important: he remains the guy who clings to the ideals of Star Fleet even when everyone else around him is starting to give in to "wartime necessity". Bashir accomplished that mostly by not changing -- he toned down his youthful arrogance but otherwise kept being himself.

Bashir is the guy who tries to cure the Jem'Hadar of their addiction to white, and later learns how to cure the changelings, even though the most expedient way to save the Alpha Quadrant is to let the changelings die. Why? Because he's Bashir and he's a goddamn Starfleet doctor, that's why.